Thursday, October 26, 2023

Morrissey at United Palace

I wasn’t planning to see Morrissey at the United Palace theater. I’d already seen him four times (twice with The Smiths and twice as a solo artist) and, to be honest, I’ve kind of lost touch with his music. (He’s very prolific!). But I won a free ticket from WDRE and I was pleasantly surprised.

His voice was strong and his band was tight! I don’t normally think of Morrissey as a rocker, but I have to say: he rocked!

The audience greeted him with a standing ovation and remained standing for the entire show.

One of the great things about a Morrissey concert are the videos before and slides during the show. They’re like an encyclopedia of his influences and cultural heroes. Some of the ones I recognized were Visage, Sinead O’Connor (her “Nothing Compares 2 U” video got applause!), Siouxsee and the Banshees, Roxy Music, David Bowie, Brigitte Bardot, To Sir, with Love, Judy Garland, Lypsinka, Steve McQueen, Oscar Wilde, the New York Dolls, Lillian Hellman and Gertrude Stein.

One more thing: The United Palace theater, like the Kings Theatre in Brooklyn (where I saw Billy Idol) is one of the architectural wonders of New York.

Nosebleed seat again (but it was free)! And another amazing theater!

The ceiling! 

The wall! 

Moz!

Moz again!

A shirtless Steve McQueen

Moz again!

Moz and Oscar Wilde

The New York Dolls

Moz again!

Moz and Lillian Hellman


No comments: