Monday, January 27, 2014

A Letter to Mitch McConnell and John Boehner


Dear Mitch McConnell and John Boehner (Please note I have not referred to either of you as “Speaker,” "Senator" or "Congressman" because you do not deserve that title.):
Attached please find my bills for the month of February, which I will not be able to pay due to Congress’s failure (and, specifically, the failure of 44 Republican Senators and nearly every Republican Congressman) to extend unemployment insurance. I will continue to send you my bills as long as you continue to ignore the will of the American people to extend this vital lifeline.
You and your fellow Republicans who voted against this bill are a disgrace to Congress and to this country. Your contempt for the American people has exceeded my wildest nightmares. You have now failed to extend unemployment insurance THREE TIMES. You’ve been on vacation four of the last six weeks and even when you showed up for “work,” you didn’t get anything done. If this were any kind of normal job, you would have been fired a long time ago. And yet you have the audacity to call unemployed Americans “lazy”! Your hypocrisy is as boundless as your contempt for the American people.
I watched the last vote on CSPAN as Tom Cole blocked any attempt to extend unemployment insurance multiple times, without a trace of guilt. I watched a video of Mitch McConnell laughing and joking with his colleagues about unemployed Americans moments after voting to deny them benefits. Republicans have shown no restraint in their contempt for the American people, so now I will show no restraint in my contempt for you and your fellow Republicans.
Fuck you, Mitch McConnell and John Boehner. Fuck you and your fellow Republicans who voted against extending unemployment insurance. I hope you burn in hell for all the pain and suffering you’ve caused the American people. You’re a disgrace to Congress, to America and to humanity.
Sincerely,
Paul Hallasy

No comments: